Saturday morning Ed was at work and I was doing some cleaning. Jordan came running in telling me that Buddy (my 1 1/2 year old stud colt) was hurt. I figured he was cut a little from barbed wire and wasn't too worried. But then Jordan said, "no, Mom - it's BAD" So I ran down to the corrals and sure enough, he has layed his left front shoulder open really bad. The whole thing is about the size of a softball. It was cut down into the muscle and looked really awful. I called Ed and he got home as soon as he could. His first thought was that I was over reacting - but when he got home and seen it - he really thought we'd end up having to put him down. He didn't think there was gonna be anything to do for it. But - we loaded him up (not an easy task - he was born out here and had never been in a trailer at all) and took him to town to the vet. We had to leave him for the vet to look at when he got back (he was over by Woodward). So all day Saturday I cried and worried and prayed for Buddy. That evening when we got to talk to the vet - he told us he had cut all the skin away from it cause it was all dead, there was no way to stitch it back up. He had flushed out the wound and gave him some antibiotics. The vet told us that he would be fine but there was nothing he could do for him as far as stitching him up. We would have to let the wound heal from the inside out. We got to bring him home Sunday afternoon and we have to flush his wound and dr. him at least twice a day. He's in a small round pen by himself away from the other horse while he recovers. The wound still just looks horrible, but the vet said it would heal with time and work to keep it clean and flushed out. So he will be getting lots of TLC for the next month or more.
And - as if the whole Buddy ordeal wasn't enough. Jordan backed Ed's pickup into the horse trailer Sunday afternoon! Both the girls have driven the pickup before (just in the pasture or down the dirt road) They've even driven Ed's Vette before. But I guess with all the excitement and worry about Buddy, she just wasn't paying attention. When Ed told her to pull forward, she put it in reverse instead and backed into the horse trailer. The gooseneck hitch hit Ed's toolbox in the pickup and totaled it out. It's all smashed in. It also tore the tailgate up. We'll have to have a new tailgate and a new tool box. But other than that, everything was okay. Once Ed got over being mad about it and Jordan got over being upset about it - they've been laughing and joking about it. Ed's nicknamed Jordan "crash"!
So - all in all, it was a weekend that I'm very glad is over!! I hope the rest of the week goes better!!
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment